Monday, June 20, 2011

Trinket #171 - Luna Moth Brooch

I read Eric Carle's "The Very Quiet Cricket" to my son last night at bedtime. When we came to the page with the luna moth, he immediately perked up and had a ton of questions about them. "How big are they? Are they really bright green?" On an on.

Tonight, I was out in the garage on the treadmill when something large swooped in through the open garage door. After my initial duck for safety, I realized that it was a luna moth. (Strangely, before today I had only ever seen the larvae around here, never the moth.) I hurried to the house and called my son out to take a look at it, but by the time we got back to the garage, it had escaped.

In the hopes of not letting the kid down too much, I tried to redeem the loss by creating this life-size moth brooch. It is made from tissue paper, double-sided tape, and a self adhesive brooch pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment